The first Week : My live diary on MCXV. Entry Three.

A week ago today I met my clinical hypnotherapist for the first time.  The circumstances couldn’t have been any more oppositional to those that we have come to expect of hypnotherapy. There was no stage, no crowd, no being so far out of it that I had no control, and no silly stunts, pranks, walking like a chicken or confessing my deepest darkest secrets. My hypnotherapist (listed as hypnosurgeon in some resources) was a doctor, a consultant surgeon no less. I was in a clean, bright, clinical hospital consult room, on a treatment couch. And most importantly I was in full control of the progression of the appointment and treatment throughout.


At the end of the session, my consultant took my email address and emailed me the recording which he’d taken (with my consent) on his iPhone. He set me homework, to lay down, relax, and run through the session as regularly as possible because if I ran through the session as we had in the clinic room it should have the same hypnotic effect. When I was referred for my appointment I was sceptical, verging on cynical about the validity of the proposed treatment. I did my homework and realised that I was wrong to be closed minded. When I attended the appointment I promised myself that I’d give the treatment a fair hearing but deep down I was sceptical about the suitability of the proposed treatment. I was wrong. I’d found the treatment interesting, and while the effect was only very fleeting, the session changed something, thus it wasn’t a whole lot of nothing. So naturally, being wrong twice in a row, I decided to make it the hat trick. I was very sceptical about the potential for a recording to hypnotise me. But again, being naturally curious meant that I decided to give it a fair chance.


After my first hospital hypnotherapy session, I was very tired. and strangely, my memory was very distorted. I couldn’t remember what I’d done from one hour to the next. I just had an overwhelming urge to sleep. But the sleep was very hollow. Empty. Dreamless. When I Woke, I didn’t feel like I’d slept. So not only was I sceptical, I was questioning whether these were the effects that I really wanted. If I wasn’t chronicling my experiences here on MCXV I may have given up. After all, I have an incurable, lifelong, disease. My care is palliative, the condition degenerative, and my mortality reduced. Could this treatment really give me enough of a boost on a day to day level to make it worth feeling like I’d swam around in the bottom of a tank of prosecco for several hours?


On Friday night, well in all honesty the early hours of Saturday morning I wrote entry two here on MCXV, in a rather bleary-eyed, semi-delirious state and used my mobile phone to play the recording. I don’t think I even made it through the first ten minutes before I was gone. Again, the sleep was empty, I lay motionless, heavy, and in a heap akin to a sack of spuds! The Mr. had to position himself around my splayed limbs because he simply couldn’t move me. It’s fair to say that when I woke up at 4 o’clock on Saturday morning I was seriously bemused with the treatment. I felt almost flu-like and still so very tired! My husband woke up. We talked through what was happening, and he reminded me that when I began osteopathic treatments I had exactly the same reaction, and while much to the amusement of the practitioner I have to have intensive osteopathic treatment (because he gives little old me more of a pummeling than he gives kickboxers and bodybuilders) it does do some good.


So after a long Saturday, starting on my paper from hell, I decided to persist. As I lay down on Saturday night I clicked the recording on again. Within minutes I felt like I was sinking into my pillow, and then I was gone again. But the strangest thing happened. Halfway through the 20-minute recording, I woke up. I was fully conscious and didn’t feel as heavy. I was cross with myself because I missed so much of the recording. So I started it over and the same thing happened.  My big, bad-ass brain, the same brain that read psychology while holding work down and raising a family took 6 or 7 runs through the same steps before the penny dropped. I wasn’t ‘falling asleep’. My brain was relaxing, just as my hypnotherapist had told me it should. So to that extent, the recording worked.


On Sunday the threads fell apart a little, and I got to bed incredibly late. I turned on my recording, and I was gone! Zonked. Out of it. Waking up on Monday morning was a lot easier than it had been in months. I was pleased for that as Monday mornings in my house can be traumatic.  Over the course of Monday, I became engaged in the paper from hell, and that was it for my first week of hypnotherapy. I’m ashamed to say that life got in the way, and I prioritised my paper over trialing a health-supporting treatment. This said, the paper is now complete and has been submitted, and I’ll be pulling my bedtime routine back to 10 pm instead of 3 am as it has been while writing, and I’ll be resuming my hypnotherapy as a priority this evening!

< Previous Entry                                                                                                     Next Entry >


Dorne Warner

I'm a freelancer with a diverse range of professional experience and a passionate interest in the human experience. I've spent 20 years working across a range of communicative platforms and online communities. My absolute favourite was 7 years in a voluntary capacity with iVillage UK. In this role, I was able to break the constraints of contracted work and discovered a passion for connecting with service users in order to feedback to HQ. This role generated a depth of understanding of the client experience from which the management was able to improve their service. I refer to this as my favourite because although voluntary iVillage UK helped me to find my speciality and develop my professional skill set. I currently manage an osteopathic practice. By implementing the deeper level of client understanding I have successfully enhanced the treatment experience, dispelled patient anxiety, and shortened prescription lengths. This enhanced service has improved client return rates and word of mouth recommendations. I've also successfully enhanced staff experience. Happy staff are integral to achieving happy clients. My strengths include safeguarding and risk assessment. At a personal level, I am highly motivated and self-critical. I strive to improve myself in order to deliver better results for my employers. My colleagues describe me as intuitive, supportive, and 'useful to have around'. I thrive in positions in which I can support others. I also thrive while self-improving. I remain a student with the open university, with whom I studied for my BSc (Hons) Psychology & am reading an MSc path with. I thrive in support roles. I am freelancing and available for ghostwriting, project management, short-format feature articles and charity work.
  • Caz Foxcroft

    How brave of you to open the whole process up to the public. I used hypnosis to deal with a traumatic school move as a teenager and recognise the heavy zonk feeling even though, as an adult, I struggle to truly relax now.

    Good luck with the treatment x